Re: Firewall on compac flash

Greetings!

On Fri, 23 May 2003 14:48:27 +0200 "debian-isp"
<debian-isp@lists.netways.de> wrote:

> We are just considering if we should try to set up our firewall on a
> Rackmountsystem with only Compac flash card and onboard cpu. Which
> would reduce a least the possibility of a harddisk crash, and would
> provide an easy possiblity to swap cards when there is a problem. The
> compac flash card (available also with 512MB is acting like a
> harddisk... Any experience with that kind of hardware ?

Main problem with flash cards is the limited number of write cycles.
This may not be THAT much of a problem with config and even less with
the software.

One thing, though, often overseen: where do you put the logs? A firewall
without logs looses a *LOT* of its practical value.

Bye

Volker Tanger

IT-Security
discon gmbh
DeTeWe AG & Co. KG

Fon +49 30 6104-3307
Fax +49 30 6104-3435
http://www.detewe.de/

Besuchen Sie unsere neuen Internet-Seiten http://www.detewe.de .
Neues Highlight: Wunschproduktberater fuer den Home & Office-Bereich.

Visit our new Internet Pages on http://www.detewe.de .
Our Highlight: Online Product Adviser for Home & Office.
(Currently available in German only)