Re: Converting from BSD/OS

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Ben Bass wrote:

> I work for an ISP with a very small # of users (approx. 300 dialup,
> 700 email) and am planning on moving away from BSD/OS to Debian.
> This will be running on a Compaq DL360 platform.  My two main concerns
> regarding the OS are stability and ease of use.  Also if I choose
> Debian Linux over one of the BSD's how difficult is it to convert the
> passwd from BSD/OS?

Debian is stable. Debian is easy to admin and maintain.

(Since you may already know BSD, you may want to consider NetBSD or
another BSD first.)

Converting the password file is easy (unless you use BSD/OS
"widepasswords", then I am not sure). I have done this (both
ways) several times. I will send you a script off-list.

  Jeremy C. Reed
echo 'G014AE824B0-07CC?/JJFFFI?D64CB>D=3C427=>;>6HI2><J' |
tr /-_ :\ Sc-y./ | sed swxw`uname`w