Re: What is a best choice for a mail program?

http://www.mythic-beasts.com/~mark/software/#just-hand-over-the-mail

> 2. Given a many-to-many rules table route it to local mailboxes. This
> rule table should be just a list of a valid e-mail addresses for every
> mailbox. It should be easily maintainable (i.e. it is bad if list of a
> valid domains will be in one file but list of valid e-mail addresses
> in another, for example).

I don't think its needed? Perhaps use procmail with the above software.

> 3. Expose these mailboxes via POP3 interface.

This is a preference thing. POP3 is implemented many many different ways,
I personally use 3 different pop3ds. Qpopper, teapop and tpop3d. Theres
plenty more.

> 4. Have simple smtp server that ralays all mail to a predefined relay
> (ESMTP required) except for a mail that is addressed to any of adress
> associated with local mailboxes.

Sendmail, Exim or Postfix.

> 5. I do not need to receive any mail through SMTP, just pull it from
> external POP3 servers.

So make it only listen on the Internet LAN ip port 25.

> I believe most e-mail servers can solve (3) & (4). I have no idea what to
> use for (1) and what software is a best choice for (2) and for this
> situation in general. I don't need many of powerful features just
> mailbox management and this list-based routing. Again, I'm asking only for
> pointers to software, maybe someone had similar problem. Thank you.

This should give you a kickstart on your way anyhow. Let us know how you
go in the end.

Regards,

Brad Lay
(brad@coombabah.net)