strange problems with pop3

Hello!

One of my friends have strange problems with pop3.
Situation:
my server is located in Slovakia (Europe)
pop3 client (Outlook, Mozilla) in Australia.

On server - courier pop.
On clinet - OutlookExpress  - WinXP.

Till yesterday (12.4.) everything worked fine for more than
1 year.

Now he (my friend in Australia) can't download
any mail from my server via pop3. The Outlook didn't
receive any message, it makes LOGIN. But then nothings
happens and I see only DISCONNECTED in courier logs.
Other accounts are accessed by people in slovakia
and it works fine.

I'm playing with it more than 6 hours I think
that problem isn't on mine or his side, but maybe
I need a diffrent point of view :).

So what I did (through VNC I've tried it from Australia):

1) telnet pop3-server 110
can login
can do any STAT, LIST, UIDL - as much as I can
RETR 1 - hooks
tcpdump shows that ack packets weren't coming back
or were comming with delay about minute,
but only when huge date should be transfered (small
traffic like list, uidl, ... works fine)

2) can't receive any mail from my server (diffrent pop3 accounts)

3) connecting another pop3 server in slovakia (other
ISP - everything works fine)

4) redirect pop traffic from well working server (3) to
my server - telnet session worked fine (including retr)
It seems that it have quicker responses than direct
pop3 connection to my serever (strange).
Even more strange is that from my server has lower
packet loss to australia than the server
mentioned in 3).

Now when I've finished the email. Tried it again. I was able
to make 4 times "retr 1" with quite quick response (about 2-5 sec),
the fifth try takes about 30 seconds (it is small test email).
The outlook (with extedning the timeout to max 5 minutes)
can receive the emials very very slowly - it download
1 message and timeouts.

Do you have any ideas where can be the problem?
Maybe it just temporary error somwhere
in the net and it will disappear suddently as it appears,
but I saw something like that first time (maybe I'm lucky
man ;).

With regards

Miroslav Zervan