Re: which dns server to use ?

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 06:30:48PM +0200,
>  Markus Welsch <markus.welsch@suk.net> wrote
>
> > Which dns server would you suggest ?
>
> Why not PowerDNS <URL:http://www.powerdns.com/>, the only one which is
> fully extensible?
>
> >      BIND     ( http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/ )
>
> Why not? The Apache of the DNS servers, feature-rich and very
> configurable.
BIND is more sendmail then apache (3-5 years ago): most used DNS server
software, bloated code (IMHO), and a remote exploit every now and then. Just
because most of the internet uses it, it may (is) not the best software
around.

> >      djbdns   ( http://cr.yp.to/djbdns.html )
>
> The author stated very clearly several times that he will not
> implement the DNS but only the thngs he likes.
>
> Also, while you should not choose a program on the basis of the
> author's personnality, I'm ready to make an exception for this one.

IMHO, DJB's Software offers some interesting new ways to solve problems. But
it is based on a non-free license, paired with DJB steadily refusing
backwards compatibility (related to config files) for the programs he'd like
to replace.
I don't think DJB will change his mind in this life, so I choose _free_
software with open development.
> >      NSD      ( http://www.nlnetlabs.nl/nsd/ )
>
> Very good program, quite recommended.
>
> > Pretty much importance is performance and security.
>
> You will probably be happy with nsd.

Can't comment on that.

I recently switched to mydns (http://mydns.bboy.net/). As all data is stored
in a mysql (or pgsql) backend, it's easy to edit zones/resource records. And
it perfectly fits into our web-based administration interface. It's small,
fast, and does it's job. Took me 10 minutes to understand and install. I
also find the code very readable (one of the things I look at when it comes
to missin critical software). Note that mydns is _not_ a caching server, but
there are other free packages that do this job.

Just my 0.02 Euros
  Thomas