Re: Partitioning a Web Server

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 01:08 pm, Mark Bucciarelli wrote:
> I'm going to be setting up a web server this Friday, and I'm trying to
> work out how to partition the disk.  The plan is to use apache
> First, the box is a 60G 10,000 RPM disk PIII 750MHz, 512MB RAM.  Does
> this sound reasonable?
>
> I have a couple things I need to decide: (1) what partitions to define
> and (2) what sizes to make them.

FWIW my Netserva formulae is...

 /dev/hda5  /      200Mb
 /dev/hda6  /usr     1Gb
 /dev/hda7  /var     4Gb
 /dev/hda8  /home (the rest)
 /dev/hda9  swap   200Mb
 /dev/hda10+ (sizes extracted from /home)

If it's for a desktop machine then I swap the /usr /var sizes... if I'm
not sure the HDD will be desktop or a server then I make it 3Gb and 3Gb.

My webspace is /home/vhosts and I use courier for mail so all mail goes
into the user home dir within /home/vhosts (no system-wide mail spool).
I also use a pair of removable caddies in nearly every machine regardless
of whether it's a desktop or server so I can rely on mounting /dev/hdc5
thru /dev/hdc8 on every HDD I have. /dev/hda9 is always swapspace.

--markc