Re: Partitioning a Web Server

50 domains on a 60gig disk should be NO problem. There should not even be a need to partition the disk, except for / and swap. Why are you trying to use partitions?

50 domains with web and mail should run you probably around 500 megs on a busy mail day. You are wasting your time worrying about partitions. If you use proftpd and qmail, each of those programs support their own quota systems, and manipulating that should be enough to keep a single person from using up all of your space.

Partitioning is useful if you plan on giving out lots of shell accounts or if you have other special purposes. For many servers, partitioning just creates unnecessary clutter and confusion. If you have a single disk, you really gain nothing by partitioning the drive (as long as your drive is fully supported by your bios. ie. no big drive with an old computer).

-Jason

Mark Bucciarelli wrote:

I'm going to be setting up a web server this Friday, and I'm trying to work out how to partition the disk. The plan is to use apache mod_v_host to serve up to 50 domains and will also be an email server. PHP + MySQL also. It's expected that most of the domains will be small fry, probably most of the usage (disk + bandwidth) will be the email.

First, the box is a 60G 10,000 RPM disk PIII 750MHz, 512MB RAM. Does this sound reasonable?

I have a couple things I need to decide: (1) what partitions to define and (2) what sizes to make them. For example, one document I read suggested creating a seperate partition for /var/spool/mail and /var/lib. I'm a bit nervous that if I guess wrong then I'll be screwed when the partition fills up. I'm not going to mess around with LVM.

So, what's a good rule of thumb for how much space to save for emails, for, say, 50 domains, each with say five addresses? Ball park, say +/- 1G.

Is it better to break up /var into different partitions or leave it all as one?

Thanks for any pointers!

Mark