Re: Apache to rewrite or not ..

On Wed, 2003-04-02 at 21:06, Russell Coker wrote:
> Doing it manually is not much better.  Having lots of people mail you about
> such silly things still isn't much use.

you may not be familiar with the nimda virus, so i'll give you and
overview of it.  it spreads through a hole in an IIS extention, uses an
outrageous amount of bandwidth and effectivley gives anyone root on an
infected machine, via the executables that it places in IIS's scripts
directory.

i'm not sure how you manage your network, but most admins would consider
a host that can be anonymously controlled by anoyone on the internet a
major liability. they have access to your mail servers/news servers,
they have the ability to waste tons of bandwidth as part of a DoS
attack, etc.

i wouldn't consider a nimda infected host on my network "silly".

--
Fred Smith <fps@dividedsky.net>
Divided Sky Internet