Re: easy lilo question

On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 02:31:23AM +0100, Marco Kammerer wrote:
> i hope its an easy lilo question for you but i am about to kick that server :(
>
> i have a 3ware ATA Raid 7000-2b controller
> together with an promises fasttrakt controller
> together with 4 normal IDEs in a box
>
> i run woody with 2.4.18 bf24 (now)
>
> i want to boot from my 3ware mirror on sda

--snip--

> Warning: BIOS drive 0x82 may not be accessible
> Warning: BIOS drive 0x82 may not be accessible
> Warning: BIOS drive 0x82 may not be accessible
> Warning: BIOS drive 0x82 may not be accessible
> Added Linux
> Warning: BIOS drive 0x82 may not be accessible
> Added LinuxOLD *
>

> how can i get lilo again to work?

--snip--

I had a similar problem in trying to boot from SCSI with IDE drives
present. My motherboard did not like to boot from SCSI even though I
told the SCSI controllers that they were supposed to handle booting
(tried using the adaptec AND some buslogic, but the motherboard always
took over).

I ended up adding the following to my /etc/lilo.conf

-- begin part of lilo.conf --

# Overrides the default mapping between harddisk names and the BIOS'
# harddisk order. Use with caution.
disk=/dev/hda
    bios=0x81
disk=/dev/hdb
    bios=0x82
disk=/dev/sda
    bios=0x80
# Specifies the boot device.  This is where Lilo installs its boot
# block.  It can be either a partition, or the raw device, in which
# case it installs in the MBR, and will overwrite the current MBR.
#
boot=/dev/sda
# Specifies the device that should be mounted as root. (`/')
#
root=/dev/sda3

--end selected portion of lilo.conf--

I looked for some time to find help on this and finally reread the man
page along with some info I found online (can't remember where) and came
up with this solution. It was the only way I could get the system to
boot to the SCSI drive, I believe because the motherboard was being
grumpy.

I know that if I add new IDE drives (which is likely to happen since
I've just filled the 40G RAID1 I have) I will have to edit my lilo.conf
to recognize the drives differently. I cannot add IDE drives without
editing lilo.conf - well, at least not to get it to boot, I think.

Standard 'it works for me but lilo can screw up everything on you'
warning applies right here - don't blame me. I'd suggest googling for
'bios=0x80' and you're likely to find a bunch of helpful information.

Hope this helps you.