Re: Courier MTA

On Sun, Mar 23, 2003 at 10:13:24PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Andrew Miehs <andrew@jinx.de> [2003.03.23.2147 +0100]:
> > Can I use it as a replacement for postfix, or am I better off sticking
> > to postfix?
>
> why would you want to replace postfix? it's an excellent MTA, and it
> interacts with the other courier servers without any problems.

Sorry... should have been a bit clearer...

Am wanting to use the 'userdb' feature of courier, and thought that
the courier-mta may support this....

Otherwise, I am looking at

  * Postfix uses virtual_mailbox_map for usernames (and uid)  delivery
  * Postfix uses sasl(1) and sasldb  for SMTP AUTH
  * Courier uses 'userdb' for password, and UID....

  -> And a shell script to keep them all in sync.

Mysql and ldap are a bit overkill, and I don't like /etc/passwd as
I don't want users which shell accounts 'accidently continously' talking
to a pop3/ imap server.

Unfortunately cyrus in woody is a very old version, and doesnt support
sasl! :-( so This effectively leaves me with the postfix courier solution.

(and no, I don't want to start using unstable, as last time I did this, I didnt
pay attention, and next thing I new, glibc was unstable! :-(  )

Thanks for any advice

Andrew