Re: Courier MTA

On Sun, 2003-03-23 at 22:50, Andrew Miehs wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 23, 2003 at 10:13:24PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> > also sprach Andrew Miehs <andrew@jinx.de> [2003.03.23.2147 +0100]:
> > > Can I use it as a replacement for postfix, or am I better off sticking
> > > to postfix?
> >
> > why would you want to replace postfix? it's an excellent MTA, and it
> > interacts with the other courier servers without any problems.
>
> Sorry... should have been a bit clearer...
>
> Am wanting to use the 'userdb' feature of courier, and thought that
> the courier-mta may support this....
>
> Otherwise, I am looking at
>
>   * Postfix uses virtual_mailbox_map for usernames (and uid)  delivery
>   * Postfix uses sasl(1) and sasldb  for SMTP AUTH
>   * Courier uses 'userdb' for password, and UID....
>
>   -> And a shell script to keep them all in sync.
>
> Mysql and ldap are a bit overkill, and I don't like /etc/passwd as
> I don't want users which shell accounts 'accidently continously' talking
> to a pop3/ imap server.
>
> Unfortunately cyrus in woody is a very old version, and doesnt support
> sasl! :-( so This effectively leaves me with the postfix courier solution.

There is a cyrus (and postfix) backport from sid to woody:

deb http://people.debian.org/~hmh/woody/ hmh/cyrus/
deb http://people.debian.org/~hmh/woody/ hmh/postfix/
deb http://people.debian.org/~hmh/woody/ hmh/misc/

(mailman, squirrelmail and amavis-new are also available there)

You might want to take a loot at that... I've been using them for some time now,
without any problems.

Regards,

Teun Vink
Luna.nl NOC