Re: Mail server

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 17:27, Asher Densmore-Lynn wrote:
> Can anyone give me any figures on how much machine I need to serve as a
> mail server for N users?
>
> I appreciate that every server is unique, but I can't judge these things
> for the life of me, and if I had baseline numbers I could modify them to
> suit. \:
>
> I'm looking at a thousand users, but anything would help.

It depends on who those users are and what they do.

For 1000 users of a dial-up ISP you don't need anything special, no-one sells
hardware that is so small it can't handle such a load.

For 1000 users of a corporate LAN attaching Word and PowerPoint documents to
their email you'll need a fairly decent server, get a couple of gigs of RAM
and 4-5 disks in a RAID array and it should be fine.