Re: Correct choise of servers

Russell Coker schrieb:
> On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 23:20, echelon wrote:
>
>>I’m trying to get some new servers, but I’m not quiet sure that I’m
>>buying the right hardware.
>

> It appears from the web page that you are buying for price, this is risky as > there are many features of designed server machines that will greatly improve
> reliability.  Better fans, better testing and QA.
>
> For Linux servers I've found Dell servers to work well. Well designed and
> engineered, and they perform really well under heavy load.

I had a lot of trouble with Dell hardware over the las 7 years.
HP Prolient and Fujitsu-Siemens Primergy servers do just fine.
Both have very nice Blade servers and external storage.
Oh and have a look at the Acer Altos R500 Servers.

If uptime is your most importent issue than use SUN hardware.

> Another thing, I recommend making the hardware the same as much as possible.

And keep enough spare parts around.

> You don't really want to have three different motherboards in three different > machines. That means there's more chance of hitting bugs. If you have three > the same and there's a bug then you can often implement a work-around, or get > them returned. If there's a bug in one then you will probably take longer to > discover it, and having different work-arounds for different machines is a
> pain to manage.
>
> If your aim is to use cheap desktop machines as servers for a small ISP then
> it might be best to ask on debian-user for general hardware issues.

Or use the Fujitsu-Siemens ECONEL Servers. They're value for money.
We use them for a large firewall/vpn rollout right now.

greets Uwe
--
X-Tec GmbH
Institute for Computer and Network Security