Re: Oracle 9i on Linux

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 10:34:10PM +0100, Russell Coker wrote:

> Does anyone know much about Oracle on Linux?  If so can you please give me
> some quick advice on how difficult it is to install, whether it runs well on
> Debian, etc.

It is an absolute bitch to install on Debian, mostly because the
installer is Java-based. 9i insists of installing its own JDK when it
sees Linux, but this one happens to segfault on woody. So, you need to
go to the temporary directory where Oracle unpacks its files, install
a working JDK there, and continue the process.

8.0.5 was a lot better; the dependency on glibc 2.0.7 that version had
is easier to satisfy than the horrible Java mess.

> Also I am particularly interested in an overview of how the different Oracle
> processes interact.

See
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96521/part2.htm#996974

(you may need to sign up)