swapon not run at boot with raid drives

Hello All

I have picked up a problem with my servers running potato + raid 1
mirror drives.

The problem is as follows:

-   raid gets out of sync for some reason,

-   server gets rebooted,

-   raid re-sync process starts automatically on boot,

-   start-up scripts look for and detect re-sync process and refrain
from
    running swapon. (see /etc/init.d/checkroot.sh and
    /etc/init.d/mountall.sh)

-   raid re-sync completes but swap drives are not mounted and stay
    unmounted.

>From what I can see this will happen on a  Woody system too.

Is this a bug, or is there something I am missing?

What are the pitfalls of mounting swap partitions while the re-sync
is running?

(I normally size the RAM in a server such that the swap space is
never used. But there is always some script which uses "sort" or
something in a manner which overflows into swop space. This makes the
problem worse as it only normally comes to light when the weekly or
monthly cron scripts are running, and nobody is around to pick up the
pieces.)

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ian
Ian Forbes ZSD
http://www.zsd.co.za
Office: +27 21 683-1388  Fax: +27 21 674-1106
Snail Mail: P.O. Box 46827, Glosderry, 7702, South Africa