Re: best NIC Speed

On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 08:33, Jean-Francois Dive wrote:
> i agree, but not specially for the hardware quality of the Pro/X intel card
> serie,  but for the quality of the driver which have been developed by intel
> and give out very good perf. The core issue is the driver and not the hardware
> in a lot of cases.

This is a very important point. Crap hardware with good drivers is
better than good hardware with crap drivers. The more widespread a piece
of hardware is, the more people care/work on the drivers, the better the
drivers are.

The crappy Realtek hardware works reliably for me... but admittedly I
haven't pushed it hard or cared about performance. I know at least one
person who abandoned an intel NIC for a Realtek because they couldn't
get the intel working (probably at the time it was a case of a new NIC
with no drivers yet, but still an issue).

ABO: finger abo@minkirri.apana.org.au for more info, including pgp key