Re: Unexplained rebooting

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 03:59:15PM -0800, Greg Hunt wrote:
> Hi,
>   If you are notified right after it reboots try checking the
> temperature of the CPU and seeing if its either close to warn or shut
> down temp in your BIOS. If that's not it and you have extra RAM lying
> around you could try swapping the RAM out and seeing if it makes a
> difference.

Fairly cool utility;

apt-get install sensord

You will also need the lm-sensors module for your kernel (which must be
build from source), and a motherboard that actualy has lm-sensor stuff on it.

With this you get nice graphs of temp, fanspeed, voltages etc;

http://minkirri.apana.org.au/cgi-bin/sensord.cgi

I use it as a diagnostic tool to make sure my server is happy :-) If you
were having any PSU or temp problems, they would hopefuly show on the graphs
before it happened.

I've been meaning to change the PS fan to a CoolerMaster Thermal Sensor fan
(A$19... pretty cheap for a dual ball bearing thermal sensor regulated fan
here in Aus) and hook the tacho on it to the other motherboard fan header.
That would give me an interesting graph as the fan speed varied with the PSU
temp (and would hopefuly make it quieter too).

ABO: finger abo@minkirri.apana.org.au for more info, including pgp key