Re: DNS servers

Hello!

Wow, man! this thread is already quite worn out.  I love to read Craig
Sanders for some three mails about some topic, but then it get's boring,
Is there a tarpitting filter for Evolution somewhere?

El mar, 19-11-2002 a las 16:17, jernej horvat escribió:

> If only djb's sw would be free so ppl could just download a binary package
> for their OS. (i would love to type 'apt-get install djbdns' one day....)

You found already Gerrit Papes place, it is a standard in my
sources.list, no! as it is freely distributable we have a mirror at
debian.uni.edu.ni.

People _can_ just download binary packages, although I only know about
i386 and some of them for hppa and alpha architectures.

You cannot redistribute modified source, but you can distribute standard
source, patches and a script to weld them together in place.

This is, how the "official" qmail-installer and djbdns-installer
packages in debian are create.

That is, as far as I can tell, all about the difference between Free
Software and DJB-Software.

DJBDNS is very fast and easy to install: I needed a dnscache this week
for a cs-class lab and did it from the sources downloaded from the
original place with compiling, installing and configuring in about 15
minutes (have practice though).

Also, I got used to the /service/ and /package directories of DJB's
Software, and they live peacefully together with /etc/rc*.d on each of
my servers and workstations.

It is handy to have either and the other option, for whatever tasks you
have to acomplish, and todays Harddisks ( >300MByte ;-) allow you to
have both types of Software running.

Hope that makes sense for and encourages courious people to look at it.

Best Regards,

	Jorge-León