Re: DNS servers

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 11:17:04PM +0100, jernej horvat wrote:
> If only djb's sw would be free so ppl could just download a binary package
> for their OS. (i would love to type 'apt-get install djbdns' one day....)

that would be fine, but I won't hold my breath.

> "BIND 9 is now fully multithreaded, allowing full utilization of
> multiprocessor systems for installations that need it."

If I read other's messages correctly, BIND also needs all CPU it can
get...

> What i like about V9 are views, but i found a problem when i use same zone

That's what tinydns location codes do...

> aaaiiiee... what happens when we switch to IPV6 ?

Dunno - check Fefe's patches.

> so.....we are still stuck with bind. aren't we ?

Dunno either. If you are willing to run something besides a pure DNS
server, there are options:

  http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/other.html

lists some DNS servers that are serving from MySQL or - seemingly -
at least two different LDAP servers, and may come under the GPL.

Best,
--Toni++