Re: DNS servers

Craig Sanders writes:
> On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 12:22:43AM -0200, Adriano Nagelschmidt Rodrigues wrote:
> > About the tinydns data format that you dislike so much ("ugly,
> > difficult to read and a PITA to work with"), let me remember you that
> > traditional UNIX /etc/{passwd,group,shadow} files have a similiar
> > format. This is so also because it makes them a _lot_ easier to be
> > manipulated programmatically.

Oops. s/remember/remind/. Sorry.

> /etc/{passwd,group,shadow} have fixed formats, with fields separated by
> colons.  parsing them is as easy as splitting on : characters.

This is also true for the tinydns data format, no? It just has more than one
type of record, each with a fixed number of fields.

That is, in addition, you have to look at the first character to know the
type.

> tinydns has a variable number of fields per line, and uses "%" and "="
> and "@" etc to indicate what type of data is being represented (which is
> fine for programs, but certainly doesn't qualify as "human readable").

The record chars may be considered mnemonic: @ for MX, = for A, PTR,
etc ;-)

> they're not the same thing at all.  not even superficially close.

Same underlying UNIX philosophy.

> in any case, nobody pretends that passwd,group, or shadow files are
> primarily designed to be edited by humans.  they can be in an emergency,
> but the primary method has always been to use programs such as adduser,
> deluser, chfn, etc.

Precisely. Why do you think this reasoning doesn't apply to DNS data?

You also get to choose the interface you want to use, be it a text editor, web
cgi, the bundled tools or even a script that creates tinydns data from bind
zone files (eg using DNS::ZoneParse from CPAN).

Regards,

--
Adriano