Re: DNS servers

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 11:27:35AM +0100, Christian Kurz wrote:

> Well, I just remembered that Wietse Venema once posted to postfix-users
> talking about using ezmlm together with postfix. I then looked a bit
> around in the source of postfix and found this readme: QMQP_README. I'm
> including a copy of it here, since I think it addresses your issue:
>

> ,----[ /usr/local/src/postfix-1.1.11-20021104/README_FILES/QMQP_README ]
> | Postfix QMQP server support
> | ===========================

[ snip config info ]

> | Setting up ezmlm-idx to use Postfix QMQP support
> | FROM ezmlm-idx.

Ouch. I'm not running a large enough installation that having a separate
server for the list traffic that runs qmail to handle it is really a
reasonable thing to do :/

> | http://www.ezmlm.org/faq-0.40/FAQ-4.html#ss4.19 describes how to
> | make ezmlm-idx work over QMQP.
> |
> | The following is based on hearsay. Do not ask Wietse how to make
> | ezmlm-idx work. Wietse does not have the time to personally install
> | and play with every mailing list manager.
> |
> | 1 - You must list QMQP servers with numerical IP address.  Hostnames
> |     do not work. This means you cannot DNS-based load balancing to
> |     spread the load over multiple QMQP servers.
> |
> | 2 - QMQP support is incomplete with ezmlm-idx-0.40.
> |
> |   - ezmlm-send will use QMQP if you specify the undocumented -Q
> |     command-line option in your .qmail-listname file.
> |
> |   - ezmlm-get will use QMQP if the file qmpqservers/0 exists.
> |
> |   - ezmlm-moderate does not support QMQP. This is not a problem
> |     if you only use unmoderated mailing lists.

... sadly, pretty much every list I run moderates posts by non-subscribers.
Strike #2, and in some sense, a far more serious one. Damn.

> `----
>
> Christian

Thanks for pointing it out, anyway. Of all the DJB related software I'd
poked at, ezmlm is the only piece for which I haven't found a replacement
that I'm happy with under a free license.

I guess my TODO list now has it. Probably some time in 2012...
lucifer@lightbearer.com              http://users.lightbearer.com/lucifer/