Re: syslog-ng

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 12:27:43PM +0100, jernej horvat wrote:
> On Thursday 21 November 2002 02:38, Russell Coker wrote:
>
> > Does multilog allow filtering log messages to determine which ones are
> > worth logging to disk?  That's the only feature that I'd like to see in
> > syslog.
>
> Then you might try http://www.balabit.hu/en/downloads/syslog-ng/

IIRC, the last time i looked at syslog-ng, it had no ability to write
log files asynchronously which made it unsuitable for use on heavy-load
servers - e.g. medium to large ISP mail servers.

apart from that, it's a pretty good program.  very flexible &
configurable.  fine for smallish servers.

there are other alternatives to syslog too, including a new one called metalog
which i haven't had time to look at yet (so i have no idea if it's any good or
not - the description sounds good).

Package: metalog
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 124
Maintainer: Sebastien J. Gross <sjg@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 0.7beta-1
Replaces: syslogd, sysklogd
Provides: syslogd, system-log-daemon, klogd, linux-kernel-log-daemon
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.5-13), libpcre3
Conflicts: syslogd, sysklogd
Filename: pool/main/m/metalog/metalog_0.7beta-1_i386.deb
Size: 19682
MD5sum: 077c0e023ee2c582412470a88d9c6728
 Metalog is a modern replacement for syslogd and klogd. The logged
 messages can be dispatched according to their facility, urgency,
 program name and/or Perl-compatible regular expressions. Log files
 can be automatically rotated when they exceed a certain size or
 age. External shell scripts (e.g., mail) can be launched when
 specific patterns are found.  Metalog is easier to configure than
 syslogd and syslog-ng, accepts unlimited number of rules and has
 (switchable) memory bufferization for maximal performance.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

Fabricati Diem, PVNC.