Re: DNS servers

* cas@taz.net.au (Craig Sanders) [2002.11.21 00:10]:
> On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 05:12:20AM -0000, D. J. Bernstein wrote:
> > Craig Sanders writes:
> >   [ http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/blurb/easeofuse.html ]
> > > 3. bind zonefiles are human readable.  tinydns-data zonefiles are not.
> >
> > Let's try a simple example. I find
> >
> >    =bear.heaven.af.mil:1.2.3.6
> >    @heaven.af.mil:1.2.3.4
> >
> > much easier to read than
> >
> >    bear.heaven.af.mil.   86400 IN A 1.2.3.6
> >    6.3.2.1.in-addr.arpa. 86400 IN PTR bear.heaven.af.mil
> >    heaven.af.mil.        86400 IN MX mx.heaven.af.mil
> >    mx.heaven.af.mil.     86400 IN A 1.2.3.4
> >
> > and much less error-prone. Don't you?
>
> no, i don't.  i find the latter much easier to read and less prone to
> making errors when editing it.  white-space makes things easier to read
> for humans.
>
> but that was part of my point - you assume that your way is so much
> better than any other way that you refuse to see alternate
> viewpoints....if you were right that would be tolerable, but in
> inherently subjective matters like this one you're not right.
>
> what is right on my system is what makes sense to me, not what makes
> sense to you.
<snip/>

OMG.  I've been able to follow this thread without saying anything until
now.  Craig, you've turned into a troll.

You're mad because Dan won't waste^Wspend his free time implementing
native support for bind zone files into djbdns; yet, you won't spend a
little bit of *your* free time to even learn the djbdns file format.
So, who's being the bully here?  Who's trying to make everyone do it
their way?  Hmm?

Noone here is trying to force you to accept djbdns.  If you don't like
it, shut up and implement a better replacement for bind.

Disclaimer:  I run bind9 and have never used djbdns.
--
Cameron Moore
[ Whose cruel idea was it for the word "lisp" to have an "s" in it? ]