Re: DMA?

+ Raghavendra Bhat <ragu@vsnl.com> [23.07.02 20:06]:
> -Balu- Walter posts :
>
> >> but do I have dma on?
>
> DMA is not enabled.  Have you installed hdparm ?

Of course, I couldn't have done "hdparm -i /dev/hda" without ;)

> Do an `apt-get install
> hdparm' and  enable DMA  by doing `hdparm  -d1 /dev/hda'.  You  can also
> pass on `-c1 -u1' to hdparm.  Please test out the hard disk read timings
> by  doing  a`hdparn -t  /dev/hda'  before  and  after passing  the  said
> arguments.

I thought that myself, but got curious, why the #debian.de FAQ told me
that "it could be possible that the BIOS activated the UDMA-mode already
(marked with *). You don't have to do anything in this case. If not you
have to enable it using hdparm afterwards."

The hdd "felt" kinda slow though, so I checked with "hdparm -d /dev/hda"
and was told that dma is not active...

> >> BuffType=unknown, BuffSize=2048kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=16
>
> You  can also  set the  multi-sector count  to 16  by passing  `-m16' to
> hdparm.

I'd like to test it, but I have to wait 'til tomorrow. Self-larted
myself (as I am guessing atm) by editing /etc/network/interfaces and
typing "auth eth0" instead of "auto eth0" some hours ago.

I just tried to reboot and check if everything gets started and
configured as expected on booting (which does not :)

     Balu