Re: virtual FTP hosting?

At 18:20 14/07/2002 +0200, Thomas -Balu- Walter wrote:
+ B.C.J.O <fade@deepsky.com> [14.07.02 17:53]:
> On Sun, 14 Jul 2002, Thomas -Balu- Walter wrote:
>
> > I am wondering what FTPDs you are using to support the following:
> >
> >         - non local users in (My)SQL-Database
> >         - permit access to these users only to ~/ (chroot)
> >
> > So far the only one I've found is proftpd. Other suggestions?
>
> proftpd is the best ftpd available, but the absence of a 'host' component
> in the ftp specification drastically limits the 'virtuality' you can
> achieve with the service. you have to bind each virtual server to a new ip
> address/alias.

Of course. I was not thinking of virtual domains but virtual users (aka
webspaces). ProFTPd was known to be the "best" by me ATM, because it was
the only one. But a first quick view on pureftpd makes me want to use
that instead.

Of course the first view can only be a quick look at website (actual?,
structure?), features and documentation (complete?) and pureftpd looks
much nicer regarding these facts :)

There are debian packages for it
(http://www.pureftpd.org/README.Debian), but I wonder why it's not
included into woody yet? :)

     Balu

PureFTPd is very good (I use it here for the exact purpose above), plus it has been written with security in mind. There are deb's for it but they are VERY OLD. I floated the question of someone maintaining new packages for it and someone said they would be happy too. Unfortunatly I haven't heard anymore of it, I'm happily using the old packages still as there aren't any holes that I'm aware of in it :-)

Dave