In fact, right now for our low cost webhosting (not our high end plans) we
do DNS, mail, www, and ftp on the same servers as the accounts are on.
That is, one server handles all services for that account. As you said,
what is the point of domains resolving and such if the server itself is
down and unavailable.

For our high-end plans and other dedicated hosting solutions, we spread
out the DNS data across more servers... the point being to make DNS
resolution more reliable.

>after all, what use is it to me to be able to resolve
> e.g. metrosophia.com to its IP, if the IP and the backup MX are down?

Well, there is your weakest link. Make the server to which the IP points
to failover to another server if it becomes unavailable. This has nothing
to do with 2, 4, or 8 DNS servers in rotation. Your weakest link is that
your IP point to a server and if the server dies, the IP becomes
unavailable. Look at "heartbeat" and many others for IP-takeover and other
solutions.

Sincerely,
Jason
http://www.zentek-international.com