Re: Tools for analysing web statistics.

On Mon, 23 Dec 2002 15:22, Fred Clausen wrote:
> I would like to know what your experiences are with analysing web logs. I
> am currently testing Webalizer and Lire but if anyone has any others they
> could recommend then I would be interested in hearing your experiences.

I've been using Webalizer for much the same things.

> We currently host multiple sites using the apache mod_vhost_alias module.
> I then use a perl script to split the main access log into access logs for
> each site. After that I have written a shell script to run webalizer on
> each access log for the individual sites,

You might want to check out my logtools package, it has a C++ program to do
the splitting that should well outperform anything written in Perl if your
logs are big.  Also my package has sample shell scripts that may give you
some ideas.

If you have anything that you think is missing in my package then please let
me know.

> The problems I am having with webalizer is that is will inexplicably stop
> generating html output but still be processing the log file, so sometimes
> a site will have stats stopped at a certain date. I then grep out the
> offending date and re-run webalizer and it works fine. But this does not
> always work and I need a reliable logs analysis tool.

What version of webalizer?  That happened to me with old versions, but the
version in Woody has seemed OK.