Re: Hardware IDE RAID-1 controller recommandation

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 02:22:43AM +0000, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Hello,
> curently I am installing some new Servers and I need Hardware
> RAID-1 Controllers for two, four and eight Harddisks.

RAID-1 is mirroring. You plan 4- or 8-way mirroring ??

Or you'd like to have multiple drive arrays ?

> Can anyone recomand some ?

3ware. Definetly. Although I'm not sure that it supports RAID-1 arrays
with more than two drives (online). But if you go the RAID-5 way, it's

> Ic possibel with HOTSWAP.

Possible. Depends on the enclosures you use for you drives. Simple IDE
racks are OK, as long as they have a switch to turn off power before

> Is there a RAID-1 Controller which support PIO Mode 4 Drives ?

Why on earth would you like to do PIO ? It's awfully slow and
ineffective, compared to DMA...

Nicolas Bougues
Axialys Interactive