Re: SCSI or IDE

Thomas Kirk [mailto:thomas@arkena.com] wrote:

> Hep
>
> On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 11:57:33AM +1300, Jones, Steven wrote:
>
> > u can get hot swap ide
> >
> > promise do one (hot swap ide), dunno how good it is mind.
>
> If you are thinking on this one ->
> http://www.promise.com/product/product_detail_eng.asp?productI
> d=90&familyId=6
>
> Dont buy it! It as simple as that. 1 year ago i bought one of those
> bastards from promise and its slooow. Im running it as filer on a
> debian 3.0 system filesystem xfs and i havent been able to push it to
> a sustain throughput on more than 3MB/sec. This is with 8
> 60GB IBM deskstar
> 7200rpm disks in raid5.
> [...]
> Next time i have to buy ideraid ill try 3ware for sure.

I have one ofe those thingies running our local samba server, raid 5 w/ 3+1
80 Gig 7200 IBM HDDs. Works flawlessly and fast. hdparm shows the following
throughput:

 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.87 seconds =147.13 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  1.31 seconds = 48.85 MB/sec

This is on a dual PIII/500 w/ 256 MB.

Not the cheapest one, but it's actually worth it.

Thomas