Re: New BIND 4 & 8 Vulnerabilities

Only gotcha I remember running into is for some reason when I did an uninstall bind 8.* / install bind 9.2.1

For some reason there where 2 bind scripts in /etc/init.d/ one named bind and one bind9 it messed with named running right so I killed bind script and left the /etc/init.d/bind9

As always.. make a back up of your Master Zone Files and if you run into any major problems you have your MZF files to rely on :)

---
Sonny

At 02:26 PM 11/13/2002 +1100, you wrote:
> > I have a very straight setup but upgrading to bind 9 was done in under
> > 4 seconds.  (approx 50 domains). no troubles so far.
>
> yep, bind 9.2.x seems a lot better than 9.0 or 9.1.
>
> it seems to use more memory than bind8.
>

> i'm doing a trial upgrade (on another server by copying over zone files)
> right now.
>
> a few little gotchas (e.g. ownership/perms of zonefiles) , but easily
> fixed.
>
> i'll probably be ready to upgrade my main dns server in an hour or so.
>
> the main thing i'm worried about is that bind9 had enormous memory leaks
> when i tried 9.0 several months ago.  i hope they're fixed now.

We're still on named 8.3.3-REL-NOESW (currently in stable).

Is it much of a headache to upgrade to 9.2.x? Any particular procedure or
guide you followed that could be read somewhere?

TIA.