SpamAssassin not using MySQL preferences

After a suggestion to separate options for spamd startup (thanks again to
whoever that was), I see the SpamAssassin mysql user accessing the
'userpref' table.

646 Connect     spamby@localhost on spamassassin
646 Query       select preference, value  from userpref where username =
'spamby' OR username = 'GLOBAL'
646 Quit

Unfortunately, I do not see this value being used by Amavis-Postfix to trap
spam. A manual query of the database shows:

# mysql -u spamby -h localhost -pspampass spamassassin
Your MySQL connection id is 647 to server version: 3.23.49-log
mysql> select preference, value  from userpref where username = 'spamby' OR
username = 'GLOBAL'\G
rewrite_subject, 1; report_header, 0; defang_mime, 0; use_terse_report, 0;
required_hits, 7 (abbreviated)

However, this is letting things through up to the default threshhold of 16
points.