Re: Converting /home/* from Susie to Debian

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 14:00, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 13:25, Garry Byrne wrote:
> > We are converting our main mail/web server over from a Susie box to
> > Debian. Under Susie ownership on /home/client are client.users and the
> > standard debian is client.client
>
> To my knowledge there is nothing in Debian depending on a one group per
> user setup. So the transition might be easier if you just changed the
> default to match your old policy, i.e. one group for all users.

I second that.  The client.client option in Debian is just the default setup,
which can easily be changed.

Having 3000 groups in /etc/group will cause some performance loss, but with
modern hardware you probably won't notice it much.

Generally I find that having all users in one group (or having a small number
of groups for different categories of user) makes a server easier to manage.

Hmm, I wonder if SUSE has a female employee named Susie...  ;)