Re: Fw: VIRUS IN YOUR MAIL (W32/BugBear.A (Clam))

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 10:44:06AM +0200, Russell Coker wrote:
> Is Linux transperant proxying up to this?  Can you intercept a data stream
> while preserving both the source and destination addresses?

I don't think it is possible, but I do not know why...

AFAIK transparent proxying in Linux is limited to redirecting all ports
to a given port another host. It is not possible for the proxy server to
tell, for instance what the original destination IP address was.

A transparent HTTP proxy relies on the server name HTTP1.1 request
field to determine what host the client really wanted to connect to.
(this has been tested with Pacific's transparent proxy).
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>