Re: /proc/sys/fs/file-max maximum?

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002 16:47, Marco Kammerer wrote:
> with the command
> cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max
> it is possible to see the value of the filehandles.
>
> with
> echo 8192 > /proc/sys/fs/file-max
> its possbile to change the value to 8092 for example!
>
> What are your values? And what is the maxium that can be handled on woody
> 2.4.18?

Last time I played with this (about kernel 2.4.16 I think) I found that I
could have a single process with about 89500 file handles open at once, I
never tested the limit for the number of file handles for the entire system,
but I suspect it was not much more than that.

> I need the increase the value because I have virtualhosts on my webserver
> and the log to diff files.
>
> beside: OK :) Another possiblity would be to log to one file and split that
> file every 24 h but right now I have seperate logfiles for each vhost.

My logtools package has everything you need for that.