Re: Bandwidth... compression... saving $$?

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002 20:37, Jason Lim wrote:
> However, I was wondering if there is a solid method to setup a link
> between a Linux or Windows or Mac box here in Australia, and have all data
> travel across a compressed tunnel of some sort.

What do you do on the net?

Web access?  It's mostly jpg and gif transfers.

Remote logins?  ssh -C

File transfer?  It's all .tgz files or .deb's (gzip compressed internally).

I think that SSL is compressed internally, but in any case encrypted data
can't be compressed.

It's a nice idea, but I doubt that it'll give much benefit.

The best thing that people in countries like Australia can do is to lobby
their politicians to change some of the telecommunications laws.  Allowing
more competition in the local telecoms market would lower prices.