Re: ISP shopping list

Hi Katim,

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Katim S. Touray wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am working on a project to setup a Linux-based, dialup ISP for a small
> academic institution in The Gambia (West Africa), and would appreciate a
> shopping list from anyone who has a similar setup.
>
> In particular, I would appreciate detailed specification of what
> hardware and software packages to buy.  Of especial help would be
> specifications that you use in your own ISP.  Alternatively, I would
> like to know of any affordable plug-and-play or ISP-in-a-box packages.
Hmm - it's not so simple. How many users will you have on your dialin? Do
they use Analog Modems or ISDN? Do you have ISDN on your site or do you
use analog lines? If you have ISDN on your site, need to service more than
8 Users simultaneously and want to offer both ISDN and Analog Dialin I
would recommend a integrated Access-Server. Depending on your budget you
could go for a used Lucent/Livingston Portmaster PM3 (with one or
two PRI-Interfaces and the appropriate amount of modem boards). If you
want new stuff look for a Cisco 3640.
If you need only analog Dialin on analog lines get a Cyclade Muliport
Serial Interface Card for a Linux Box (Small Pentium I is really
sufficient) and get some high quality analog modems like USR-Courier.

User authentication can be done with a radius server (freeradius,
icradius, cistron) on a linux box.

> Thanks in advance for your help, and best wishes.
If you give us some more information on your budget and the estimated user
count we could be of course more helpful.

Kind regards
Torsten Krueger