Re: multiple webcams via one linux box

Hello Bernie

On 26 Aug 2002 at 9:56, Bernie Berg wrote:

> > I have tested two "Dexxa" webcams (compatible with Logitec Quickcam
> > Express), on the same USB bus. I set it up to take alternating snap
> > shots from each camera. This works well and could be expanded to more
> > camera's.
>
> That should work, but at 85 cams this could get kinda messy.  How fast
> can  you alternate?

I ran 1 image every 15 seconds per camera, with 2 camera's, which was
enough for my requirement.

There is a very real finite limit to the bandwidth on USB. I don't
think this will scale to 85 cams on one bus.  You could try and split
them over say 4 buses and aim for a refresh rate of 1 pic per 5
seconds per camera. It will depend on the resolution of each picture.

> If I used the wireless x10 cams with usb adapters I don't think I would
> reach 15m.  The problem I think I would have with the x10's are that one
> receiver controls a number of cams (3 I think) and you can switch
> between them (at least that is how the windows software works), but I
> need them to all act independently.  I've tried contacting x10 to ask
> some technical questions but the hold times are too long and they don't
> reply to emails.

I don't see all of those wireless controllers expanding to 85
camera's. (Do they have enough independent channels and enough
range?)

I am going to try "thin client" boxes on a network, each with say 4
cameras - the limitation being the USB cable lengths. 2 Boxes and  8
camera's should meet my requirement.  But each box will need power
and a place to live so this probably won't scale to 85 cameras
either.

Your installation will be quite large, have you talked to any
"professional" companies? I would hate to be running around a site
chasing 85 "domestic quality" web cams when one or another of them
keeps dying for unknown reasons and the supplier does not answer the
phone!

Regards

Ian
Ian Forbes ZSD
http://www.zsd.co.za
Office: +27 21 683-1388  Fax: +27 21 674-1106
Snail Mail: P.O. Box 46827, Glosderry, 7702, South Africa