Re: lilo on /dev/hdb to work as /dev/hda

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Kevin J Menard wrote:

> This is a shot in the dark, but could you use the bios option to install
> lilo onto that drive.  Then use a boot disk to boot off of it.  Once
> it's up, you could then change the bios option back to 0x80, and rerun
> lilo, and should be all set.

This is a follow-up on my problem. Anyways, using the bios option did
work -- and I didn't need a boot floppy or have to rerun lilo again!

I was able to copy hda to hdb (fdisk, newfs, rsync, lilo) and then use the
disk originally at hdb as hda without any changes.

The "boot=" was /dev/hda, but I used "-b /dev/hdb" to override that.
And then in the lilo config I did:
 disk=/dev/hdb
   bios=0x80

And it wrote the boot loader to hdb so it thought that it was really hda.

  Jeremy C. Reed

  http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/  -- BSD news and resources
  http://www.isp-faq.com/        -- find answers to your questions