Courier imap packages acting up

Mhm....

weve been using imap forever, generaly we use the tarbals....ive been
braging about how using the debian packages or maybe even just the
system (like, just apt-get source) could save us so much time...

In evaluating this, i found out that debian stock courier is buuilt
--without-authvchkpw ...okay, no problem, i can just apt-get source,
change that without to with in debian/rules file and off we go....we
would have debian wooody debs with vchkpw built in there....well no...

This is the output from the attampted dpkg-buildpackage :

dpkg-source: building courier using existing courier_0.37.3.orig.tar.gz
dpkg-source: building courier in courier_0.37.3-2.1.diff.gz
dpkg-source: cannot represent change to conftest: binary file contents
changed
dpkg-source: building courier in courier_0.37.3-2.1.dsc
dpkg-source: unrepresentable changes to source

Now that sucks....anyone knows what is this???

Alex