Re: Newbie: Is there a basic Debian-for-ISP HOWTO?

Hello!

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 01:48:57PM -0700, Angus Scott-Fleming wrote:
> What are your problems with qmail?  What do you like about the
> Postfix comm. that QMail lacks?  Not trolling for flamewars

My personal experiences:

Sendmail -  cryptic macro language

Exim - delightfull relieve from it

Qmail - I learned finally what Email is, because I did not have to
        focus on implementation quirks and complexity.

Qmail is lightweight and secure and until now has scaled to *any*
machine I installed it.  From 486 "home"-computers with dialup links
to big mailservers.  I use it now on all machines I manage, to
simplify the configuration tasks.

My recomendation, Gerrit Pape's unofficial binary packages:

   www.smarden.org/pape

You can also download unix-ised versions of the documentation in .deb
form there.

> XX> A recurring comment in the mailing list moderators mailing
>   > list is that djb ignores a number of standards.  Which
>   > aren't specified.....
>
> Anyone here have any insight into what djb's failure-to-hew-
> to-standards might be?

Same thing as with Qmail.  Learned it in one day (had never managed a
DNS before), installed it and since then it works.  My neighbourhood
DNS's,  (subdomains, secondaries) use Bind and it's pure trouble to
maintain.

There is a lot of information about djb supposedly to be non
compliant, and what's the answers.  Look at "www.djbdns.org" first, and
then look at the "faqts" and Jonathan de Boyne Pollard's Frequently
Given Answers.

About License: Both programs are free to download and use.  The
redistribution in binary form is limited.  In case of Qmail restricted
to obey certain installation criteria.  You can however do anything on
your network with the software what you want.

The programms are very small and compile in just no time.  I spend
less time in patching and recompiling Qmail then in installing other
debian packages, and it can be done almost completly without shutting
down the services.

About having to DJB-anize the computer:

DJB's programs have their own infrustructure, which is very clean and
logical.  It does not waste lot's of space and costs you only thre new
top-level subdirectories: "service", "command" and "package", with
which, by the way you have almost nothing to do anyway.  I doubt that
somebody can't bare with this today.

-----------------------------------

Now about the initial question:

Qmail supports virtual hosting natively.
Qmail supports Maildir delivery natively.
User managment goes via /etc/passwd or via .cdb databases

LDAP user databases is a patch which can be found via www.qmail.org

POP3 servers for Maildir databases are standard, as are IMAP
(Courier).  I have used both of them without problems.

For mailing lists I use Mailman, although I do not have lots of users
or traffic.

Best Regards,

     Jorge-León