Re: Newbie: Is there a basic Debian-for-ISP HOWTO?

[...]
    ASF> What are your problems with qmail?

I know it works reasonably well but I have not used it personally
myself for any amount of time and certainly not professionally.  I did
end up troubleshooting it at one point because it was bouncing mail in
a rather unusual circumstance and was causing me embarrassment (I had
recommended the guys running qmail).  I tried reporting it as a bug,
and asking their qmail consultant -- the answers were the same "qmail
kicks ass."  Since I am negatively biased about it, and I have limited
experience I will refrain from giving advice.  (I may have a bug
report somewhere, google if you wish).

    ASF> What do you like about
    ASF> the Postfix comm. that QMail lacks?

Qmail by default wants to operate by DJB's rules and it tries to
DJB-ize the remainder of your system.  This much I know and dislike.
I am not alone on this, a bit of googling should reveal lots of links.
If I were to switch from sendmail it would be if I ran into a problem
with performance -- I have not.  In that case postfix looks good based
on word of mouth from people I consider credible.  At one point
qmail's author had a rather disingenuous security nitpick about
postfix, other than that it does not have a track record of glaring
problems.

[...]
    >> I recommend anyone contemplating about sendmail for serious use
    >> to hang out in comp.mail.sendmail for a while to see if they
    >> fit into the profile that group is supportive of.

    ASF> Sounds like you also have issues with the sendmail community?
    ASF> Or is it just that sendmail still has holes?

Oh _I_ have no problem with the group.  I occasionally contribute
even.  I do know that that group regularly gets complaints from people
who don't feel they are helped on reasonable questions (more so than
other groups I read), so I _suspect_ support through that community is
problemmatic for some people.

cheers,

BM