Re: Admin for E-MAIL users only

On Sun, Jul 07, 2002 at 08:57:14PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 07, 2002 at 06:44:06PM +1000, KevinL wrote:
> > #include <twocents.h>
> >
> > The usual complaints regarding MySQL surface on large projects:
> >
> > 1) No transaction support (fixed with innodb, but up until recently a
> > problem)
>
> has the intellectual property dispute over that and the mysql trademark
> been sorted out yet?  last i heard, mysql and nusphere were still
> fighting.

You're thinking of Gemini tables, not InnoDB tables.  AFAIK, there has
never been any controversy over InnoDB tables, which were developed by
"Innobase Oy" <http://www.innodb.com>, not Progress Software / NuSphere.

> > Craig, I reckon calling MySQL a toy now innodb exists and is fairly
> > stable is a bit harsh - given transactions, it's a capable database.
> > It often still gets _used_ as a toy, but that's not it's fault.
>
> it's not harsh at all - unless you count the truth as being harsh.
>
> it still gets used as a toy because it is a toy.

Your PostgreSQL advocacy would be a lot more effective if you would drop
the trollish attitude.

MySQL is not a toy.  It may be misrepresented as a real RDBMS, but that
doesn't mean it is a toy.  It's an extremely fast data-store with an SQL
interface.  There are useful uses for a fast data-store, for example
(ob-debian-ISP), to hold a RADIUS authentication database.  Think of it as
comparble with LDAP or Berkeley/SleepyCat DB, but with a nice SQL
interface.

Calling it a "toy" when it isn't is not a whole lot different than the
MySQL folks calling it an RDBMS.  :)

Of course, for applications that need an real RDBMS, PostgreSQL is a
better choice.

--
_ivan