Re: Antivirus setup?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Lim" <maillist@jasonlim.com>
To: "Vector" <postfix@itpsg.com>
Cc: <debian-isp@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2002 12:15 PM
Subject: Re: Antivirus setup?

> Dear Vec,
>
> It would make sense that a number of us ISPs and hosting companies got
> together and helped on of these antivirus initiatives.
>
> While we have no choice but to use a commercial antivirus product on our
> Web Hosting and email servers, some of our clients, such as the school
> (which is why I am investigating this) and non-profits cannot afford to
> buy these expensive products.
>
> They don't have to be REALLY great... but at least detect the most common
> virus going around and block/rename them.
>
> I looked at Openantivirus... runs in Java.... I can see performance going
> down the drain because the school's mail server is only a 586 with 128M
> (or was it 64M) of ram...and they also run a small internal website for
> teachers on it. So it obviously isn't any beefy server.
>
> Jason
> http://www.zentek-international.com/

There is a free version of Trend Micro's virus scanner at:
ftp://ftp.antivirus.com/products/freetools/

You can download the latest pattern file and scan engine library for it from
their web site. I was able to use it to build trophie & virge found here:

http://www.vanja.com/tools/

Virge integrates with procmail to scan messages during mail delivery, though
I haven't actually deployed this yet. (Just started playing with it
yesterday) Trophie on its own will detect klez, hybris, etc even in mime
encoded files.

Sincerely,
--
Kirk Ismay