Re: RBL - Back to basics

From: <Jorge.Lehner@gmx.net>

> On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 08:33:37AM -0400, Gene Grimm wrote:
> [...]
> > Alot of people will resist this if it means replacing every mail server
> > on the Internet, or even just the mail software on every Internet mail
> > server. This has to be a revision compatible with the existing SMTP
> > protocol or trying to implement this will cause catastrophic damage to
> > the Internet mail infrastructure far worse than SPAM.
>
> If you want an efficient and flexible Email system without Spam you
> won't be using old protocols.  ... Look at gopher, ftp and telnet:
> My clients all have clients to use ftp and telnet servers, but my servers
> do neither have ftp nor telnet servers installed, ...
>
> No need to replace SMTP service, it will just fade out, and every
> sysadmin will be happy about it.

You missed the point. The entire Internet mail system is currently based on
the SMTP protocol for getting mail from one Internet user to another. To add
another protocol for mail transport, you will still have to deliver it to
existing SMTP mail servers and accept mail from existing SMTP mail servers.
To do otherwise will prevent the vast majority of email users form
corresponding with accounts on mail servers based on a totally new protocol.
Try telling AOL users they can no longer send mail to, or receive mail from
anyone but another AOL user. Even at that, AOL would have to replace all of
their mail server software at the precise same moment or some AOL users will
be unable to correspond with other AOL users.

As for ftp and telnet, those protocols are still in use today by alot of
large organizations. I use telnet quite often to manually test clients' pop3
account settings.