Re: RBL - Back to basics

Hello!

On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 08:33:37AM -0400, Gene Grimm wrote:
[...]
> Alot of people will resist this if it means replacing every mail server
> on the Internet, or even just the mail software on every Internet mail
> server. This has to be a revision compatible with the existing SMTP
> protocol or trying to implement this will cause catastrophic damage to
> the Internet mail infrastructure far worse than SPAM.

If you want an efficient and flexible Email system without Spam you
won't be using old protocols.  Every day new networked aplications are
developed and people rush on them if they are good:  If it's easier,
more secure, faster and costs less you will opt to use it.

Look at gopher, ftp and telnet:  My clients all have clients to use
ftp and telnet servers, but my servers do neither have ftp nor telnet
servers installed, we use better ssh, rsync, scp and http for the
corresponding tasks.

No need to replace SMTP service, it will just fade out, and every
sysadmin will be happy about it.

[...]
> > - Transmission of the message contents has to be initiated by the
> >   receiver, not by the sender, to allow beforehand trust/cost
> >   negotiation between the two parties: actual Email always puts the
> >   cost on the (helpless) receiver.
>
> How can this be possible when the recipient can't possibly know when
> someone wants to send him something? Even if the protocol were to allow

[...cut out interesting discussion...]

My intention is not to start a discussion about an alternate Internet
Mail on the debian-isp list, so I won't answer the questions on the
list (I'll do personally though), but I encourage anybody who is
interested to sneak into the corresponding discussions - im2000
mailing list is available, and just to give it a skim look at Clemens
Fischer's Wiki

  http://wiki.haribeau.de/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ProjectIM2000/

And on my homepage

  http://www.magma.com.ni/~jorge/