RE: Radius choices now that freeradius has been dropped from woody.

Are you volunteering to maintain the package??

-----Original Message-----
From: John [mailto:john@keimel.com]
Sent: 16 April 2002 18:53
To: debian-isp@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Radius choices now that freeradius has been dropped from
woody.

http://ftp-master.debian.org/testing/update_excuses.html#radiusd-freeradius
> the one problematic bug can be worked around by compiling from source -
you
> could consider having both testing and unstable in the box's sources.list,
> pinning it to testing, but using freeradius from unstable.

We use potato on all our production boxes because of the security teams
recommendations. However, we also add things we need and compile from
source where necessary, as sticking with potato in the current scheme of
release dates and release date procedures in the debian system is, to
put it mildly, slow.

Without going into any kind of flame war on the distributions of debian,
I think many people will agree that it's awfully slow and that's one of
the largest problems with debian. Having said that, I can appreciate
some of the reasons why it is slow, but not others.

I firmly believe that using source from other distributions is the way
to go for having a stable and more modern system. Just because the
debian team dropped a package from the next distro because it has two
bugs and one wishlist item is pretty silly.

USe the source, that's what it's there for.

- j