Re: Email header parser?

On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 02:56:02PM +0300, Jarno Elonen wrote:
> > > Do you know of any better shell tools for extracting from, cc, subject
> > > etc. from the headers than procmail/formail?
> >
> > How about Python and its RFC822 modules?
>
> Thanks, Python did it easily after getting comfortable with the language and
> libraries (never really used Python before). I used the "email" module,
> though, instead of "rfc822"
>
> BTW. Is Python 2.2 backwards incompatible with 2.1 or why does even the
> unstable "python" package provide 2.1?

"unstable" and "testing" both have a new "Python Policy" in operation, where
python 1.5 through 2.2 are all packaged seperately and can all be installed
and co-exist together happily. There is also an empty "python" package that
depends on and hence installs the "default" version of python for that
Debian release. The default version is currently 2.1, as that is the upstream
"stable" version that is compatible with most other Python packages.

If you want 2.2, you can just install the python2.2 package and use
"#!/usr/bin/python2.2" in your scripts.