Re: Seagate IDE HDD Driver

> as you see, the drive is detected. But when I try reading the drives...
>
> # hdparm /dev/hda
> /dev/hda:
> multicount = 16 (on)
> ....... [works]
>
> # hdparm /dev/hdc
> hdc: driver not present
> /dev/hdc: No such device or address
>
> The first [oldest] drive works fine, but the second [new] drive doesn't!
>
> # cat /proc/ide/hda/driver
> ide-disk version 1.10
>
> # cat /proc/ide/hdc/driver
> (none)
>
> A bodge fix is to...
>
> # cat /proc/ide/hda/driver > /proc/ide/hdc/driver
> hdc: 78165360 sectors (40021 MB) w/2048KiB Cache,CHS=77545/16/63
>
> # hdparm /dev/hdc
> /dev/hdc:
> multicount = 16 (on)
> ...... [works!]
>
> So, does anyone know why it doesn't load the driver at boot time, and
> how to get it to do so?

Okay... sounds like you haven't got the /dev stuff done properly.

Try running MAKEDEV in dev (or i think it is), or try searching for
MAKEDEV and/or similar programs. They create the special files/directories
within /dev. Things could be different if you are running that new dev
filesystem thing (which i do not have experience with)... that is suppose
to only create the filename/directories of actual hardware that exists. So
if you use that do not take my advice, but otherwise look for MAKEDEV and
it's friends and run that.

Jason
http://www.zentek-international.com/