Webalizer & Analog log reading

Anyone else experiencing the same problem as me, wrt apache's access
log default ownership settings?

When I first set up Apache, logrotate dutifully created new access logs
with owner and group as specified in httpd.conf.

The anacron / logrotate combo has recently taken to creating *new*
access logs under different ownership and group attribution -- thus
preventing both Webalizer and Analog from reading access.log, and
providing the usual report, and necessitating manual intervention to
change ownership.  (Which fixes the problem.)

Anyone got a permanent fix for this behaviour?
(Or, more likely, can tell me where I've gone wrong?)
Debian GNU/Linux 2.2r5 (potato+testing)

Server version: Apache/1.3.23 (Unix) Debian GNU/Linux
Server built:   Feb  7 2002 13:56:56

logrotate 3.5.9

Mar 30  2001 /usr/sbin/anacron

Webalizer V2.01-09 (Linux 2.2.19pre17) English

analog 5.22

TIA
--
Martin Wheeler <mwheeler@startext.co.uk> gpg key 01269BEB @ the.earth.li