Re: apache BASIC authentication w/large userbase

On Thu, 2002-04-04 at 03:06, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 06:35:22PM -0500,
>  Jeff S Wheeler <jsw@five-elements.com> wrote
>  a message of 39 lines which said:
>
> > would not go for that because apparently a disproportionate number of
> > their end-users disable cookies in their web browser.  Stupid media
> > privacy paranoia.
>
> You are wrong.

Well, we deal with a lot of adult webmasters, including a few large
ones.  I don't do a lot of CGI-ish stuff, or session tracking for those
sites, however our in-house guy who does do that work claims nearly 30%
of the visitors to one high-profile site we work on have a browser with
cookies disabled.  I haven't generated the data myself, so I don't know
if I believe the 30% figure, but I believe "disproportionate" is pretty
safe given the users.

It's probably a stretch for you to state that I am wrong given who their
userbase is, however if you have information on similar sites to back up
your statement I certainly will be interested.  I'll see if we can track
that precisely on some of our customer sites.

> So you reinvented LDAP :-)

LDAP didn't ocurr to me at all, I'm glad you suggested it.  We have no
LDAP resources or experience in-house, but honestly would like to move
to it for a more sane a/a system for our unix, ftp, and mail accounts as
well.  There seems to be a real lack of a good, thorough HOWTO though.
Have I not looked in the right place?

Is LDAP really the best tool here?  Keep in mind hundreds of authen
requests per second, although I don't doubt that large shops with a lot
of users probably have that kind of volume in regular unixy stuff.

--
Jeff S Wheeler               jsw@five-elements.com
Software Development            Five Elements, Inc